Pine 4.50 and Pine 4.51 Segfault on YDL 2.3

Michael H. Martel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 13 17:01:05 2002

Hello!

I've discovered that Pine 4.50 and 4.51 will not build properly on YDL 2.3
. Specifically it all builds, but the pine executable then segfaults when
running.  This is the email I got back from UWashington about it :

> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:36:19 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
> From: Steve Hubert <hubert@washington.edu>
> To: "Michael H. Martel" <martelm@quark.vsc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Pine 4.50 Segmentation fault on YellowDog Linux 2.3
> #021121@08:51:49.16812 #021121@05:22:36.11507
>
> I should have asked for this last time. Instead of just "where", how about
> a "where full"? Thanks.
>
> % gdb pine
> (gdb)run
> <crashes>
> (gdb)where full
> <lots of output to send us>
>

> The crash is happening in vsnprintf in debugjournal. Either we're doing
> something wrong in the way we call it (possible because it is tricky
> variable arguments stuff) or the C library you have is doing something
> wrong in vsnprintf.
>
> It should be easy to work around with a recompilation.
>
> % ./build clean
> % ./build DEBUG="-g -DDEBUG" lnp
>
> ought to fix it. Thanks.
>
> Steve

Building Pine with the above options _does_ indeed yield a working
executable.  When I mentioned that I got this email:

> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:06:40 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
> From: Steve Hubert <hubert@washington.edu>
> To: "Michael H. Martel" <martelm@quark.vsc.edu>
>
> Michael,
>   I'm glad the work-around works for you. As far as we can tell, this
> problem looks like a bug in your Linux. So, unless we figure out
> otherwise, we won't be fixing anything and you will have to continue to
> use the work-around for future pines. Thanks for your help!
>
> Steve

I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone who wants to use Pine 4.50 or
4.51, and maybe for the benefit of TerraSoft if they want to look into why
this happens.

If nothing else maybe they can confirm that it's not just me ?  I've seen
it on all three of my YDL 2.3 machines.

Many thanks!

Michael

--

   Michael H. Martel              | Systems Administrator