PPP daemon died!

Owen Stampflee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 22 00:33:00 2002

Ken Grunke wrote:

>Owen Stampflee graciously replied:
>

>>"Finding module dependencies:
>>can't open lib/modules/2.2.19-lr/modules.dep for writing
>>FAILED
>>mount: fs type tmpfs not supported by kernel
>>FAILED"
>>

>Try the 2.4 kernel. 2.2 doesnt support tmpfs IIRC (or it calls it
>something else)
>

>>The two problems you are having are directly correlated as modutils cant
>>find the modules even if they exist and such, doesnt load the PPP module.
>>
>>Owen
>>

>Is the 2.4 kernel on the YDL 2.2 install disk?
>Since I can't get connected, I can't download it in YDL and if I DL it using Mac
>OS I have no way to get it to the Linux partition since I haven't figured out
>MOL yet :-(
>And there doesn't seem to be floppy disk support or am I wrong?
>Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the Mac and the Linux
>partitions, although on the same drive, are completely invisible to each other!

Yes, and it should have been installed by default.

I'm assuming you have an old world since you have a floppy drive so copy
the 2.4 kernel from the Install portion of the disk into the BootX
kernel folder and boot using it. Once in linux, instal the 2.4 kernel
modules (they're kernel-modules-2.4.*.rpm).

If you're using yaboot (new world, iMac and newer), install it
kernel-2.4.*.rpm as well as kernel-modules-2.4.*.rpm. The RPMs might be
called linux-2.4.* or linux-kernel-2.4.* and make a new section in your
/etc/yaboot.conf to point to the new kernel.

The kernel compiling howto on the YDL website and documentation on
ppckernel.org should help some as well.

Owen