HELP: post power-failure boot probs

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 27 16:29:01 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Jonathan Segel wrote:
>interactive startup saying no to xfs does nothing either, it still
>respawns the x server...? any other ways in to change the runlevel while
>it's booting?

 I haven't used BootX in a while, but there must be a way to boot into
single user mode. With Yaboot or Lilo, you would type '<linux> single'
where <linux> is the image name of the kernel (usually just 'linux', or
sometimes you might call it 'linux-2.4.20', etc.). Then in single usr
mode, you can change /etc/inittab and set the default run level to 3
rather than 5 (usually a good idea for a server anyway).

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh