One more time...qmail

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 4 13:06:01 2002

on 7/4/02 11:21 AM, linuxppc@nxs.com.br purportedly said:

> Dear Sirs,=20
>=20
> I=B4m trying to implant a qmail in my server. I=B4m using a iMac computer
> running
> yellowdoglinux 2.2
> The problem is that after I install the qmail in the system and I try to
> verify
> if it is functioning properly through the telnet comand using port 25
> (telnet
> localhost 25) I receive the following response:
> connection refused.
> When I use the command at port 80, the apache responds normally. At port =
21
> the
> ProFTP also responds normally. I have already made sure that there are no
> other
> e-mail server running in the machine (like sendmail, for example).
> I would really appreciate if you could tell me what=B4s going wrong. Why ca=
n=B4t
> make the software work and run in my server.

$ ps -e | grep qmail-smtpd

To see if the SMTP server is running. If not, you may have to stop/start
qmail. How this is done depends on whether you are using daemontools and
what version.

If it *is* running, first check your tcpserver command line in the launch
script (again, depends on how you installed), to make sure you included the
proper option for referencing the correct tcprules file. If the tcprules
file doesn't exist, all connections may be refused. Your tcprules file is
usually called smtp.cdb or tcp-smtp.cdb, and usually somewhere in the /etc
directory. If you installed everything by hand, you probably know where thi=
is. If you used an RPM, do rpm -ql rpm_name to find out where it is.

If you provide more information (method of installation, rpm vs manual,
which daemontools etc), I can assist further.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.