blank video while install on 7200

Fred Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 15:09:00 2002

I am having trouble installing YDL 2.1 on a 7200/75

After configuring the HD in preparation for installation and installing
bootx, on restarting and selecting Linux for boot, the screen goes black and
nothing happens.  No messages appear at any time after selecting Linux.  In
fact, the monitor shifts to power saving mode as if no video is being
generated at all.

I have tried this with clean  installs of OS9.1 and OS8.5.1.  I have tried
an Apple Precision Color Display and a Radius 17".  I have tried different
video= modes including video=platinumfb (the unit shows platinum as the
video hardware in System Profile).

I have also tried both versions of boot (GUI and text) as well as both
kernels and various combinations of the other options.

All produce the same non-result.  In scanning the archives, i've seen
mentions of similar problems but the suggested fixes such as video= modes
have not worked.

The system has 160MB of RAM
A 2 GB SCSI HD partitioned with 500MB for MacOS and 1.5GB Unallocated.
A PCI 10/100 Ethernet card.
A VST Ultratek ATA/66 PCI/IDE adapter with a 600MB IDE HD attached.

TIA for any help on this.