blank video while install on 7200

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 15:33:01 2002

First, I'd forget about the Radius display until you've got everything
else working. What is the model of your Apple display? (Precision Color
Display is a Radius mark). Many of those Radius displays had sync-on-green
issues and other happy things that needed to be done to make them work
reliably, including various adapters. I'd skip that hassle for now and use
the Apple display.

So. I assume you've tried checking the "No video driver" box in the BootX
dialog and messed around with the "Force Video Settings" option in
(Options...) as well? If not, do this and see what happens. After that
fails ;), try setting your Mac video to 640x480, don't specify a "video="
anything line, and check "No video driver". This should at the very least
get you basic boot-time text. Make sure you're using the text-only
ramdisk, of course.

I have one monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 14s or something) that simply would
never work in Linux. Not on my Macs, my PCs, with my Netwinder, or
anything. Use it with anything else -- MacOS, Windows anything -- and it
would be fine. I never figured out what the deal was. I could even get it
to sync if I started a machine in Linux with a good monitor, set the
resolution and everything, then swapped the wonky monitor onto the port
once everything was set.  But as soon as the Linux driver took over on
a reboot, zap. Funny thing.

- Nathan