proftpd, apache and netatalk

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 12 13:31:01 2002

Hi List,

I have a strange problem running a webserver here, when uploading text
files.

Our site uses Macromedia Flash objects, that load content text through
plain text files, so we have some sort of "content management", by
altering the text files instead of generating the Flash objects every
time some content changes. In order for the umlauts to be displayed
correctly [we are in Germany and need them to be displayed correctly],
the text files have to be Windows Plain Text files. No prob, so far.
When I upload them through ftp to my webserver, running
proftpd-1.2.5rc1-1a, the character set changes somehow and all umlauts
are screwd up. When I upload the text files via AFP/netatalk, no
conversion takes place and umlauts stay the way they are supposed to be.
Eh?

Now, our site has many files in different folders and it is a pain to do
updates by hand through AppleFileSharing, I would like to use a tool
like Golive, that provides incremental uploading. Where can I turn this
character set conversion off? I tried setting proftpd to default to text
and to binary. No matter which one I use, the character set gets
converted somehow and all umlauts are displayed with the wrong
characters, not only by the Flash objects, but also when opening them
with a text editor.

We have an old web server running under MkLinux DR3, with wu-ftp, for
test purposes and experience no probs uploading text files via ftp
through Golive. The characters remain untouched. Is there some sort of
magic in proftpd that I am overseeing?

Any help appreciated.

TIA,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040