2.3 install error: error RUNNING TRANSACTION set (PBG3 233)

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 15 15:33:01 2002

It should not be necessary to have two swap partitions, just to get the extra
space.  One partition of 512 MB should do the job just fine.  The restriction
on the size of swap partitions has long since gone away.  It had to do with
the number of bits in a fixed-size bitmap of used blocks in the swap file.
Recent kernels (since 2.3? -- maybe... I don't recall) use a different format
for swap files, which is more scalable.

Whether you actually need all that swap space is another question.  I
(usually) say, "Disk is cheap!" and allocate a gig or so (on a 60GByte drive,
I'll never miss it!)  I never expecct to use it all, but it's there just in
case I ever need it.

But if you're constrained for space (required to use existing and/or ancient
hardware for financial or philosophical reasons, for example) then you can go
as low as 1 for 1 with RAM. (Actually the system will run just fine with no
swap at all, and be completely comfortable with a ratio somewhat less than 1
for 1.   Whether you choose to do so is your decision -- base it on your
workload.)

Enjoy!

Rick