ppp eth0 conflict

gm c yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 16 15:27:01 2002

ydl 2.1 on powerbook g3 (2000)
I have a problem that I think is the same as problem in May thread titled
ppp isues.The description of my problem is as follows: I install OS without
configuring ppp or eth. I first configure ppp with DIALUP CONFIGURATION,
start the connection with PPP DIALER and it works as it should. After I
configure eth0 and give it an ip number for my LAN, I start PPP DIALER and
it fails. I check DIALUP CONFIGURATION and it says "connected". In fact I am
not connected and have to click hangup in DIALUP CONFIGURATION and close
before I can start another connection. At that point PPP DIALER never works
again!- even if it is removed and reinstalled. If I then use DIALUP
CONFIGURATION to make a ppp connection, one is made but communication does
not work. I can ping out but nothing comes back.If I do ifconfig I find that
  ppp0 is using my LAN ip number, not the one sent to my computer from my
ISP.(no wonder nothing comes back). The ppp will use the correct ip ( I
check using ifconfig) if I make inactive and or remove the ETH0 using
NETWORK CONFIGURATION. Making eth0 inactive should not be required to get a
good connection.I checked ifcfg-ppp0 and ifcfg-eth0 for gateway settings and
there are none. Ifcfg-ppp0 has DEFROUTE=yes.I do route -n and the number
under gateway is 0.0.0.0. Anybody KNOW what the fix is so PPP DIALER works
correctly and ppp works with a eth0 configured and active???????????
mike