usb printing question - problem

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 27 12:55:01 2002

On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 08:39  PM, david wrote:

> What am i missing? Thanks

You should probably specify which YDL release you're running and whether
or not you're using the default kernel and printer software for whatever
release it is.  It's tricky to offer suggestions without knowing that
information.

With the default kernel in any YDL 2.x release, remember to 'modprobe
printer' to load the usb printer module.

If you're running 2.2 with the default printer software (LPRng) I don't
think you'll have any luck with usb printers. At least I never did with
my Epson 740.  You could try running CUPS instead but when I did that in
2.2, it crashed linux.

If you're running 2.3 with the default  printer software (CUPS) you
should at least have a shot -- it works ok with my 740. But  I don't
know whether or not CUPS comes with a driver for the 780.

I never tried usb printing in 2.0 and 2.1.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com