questions re: Radeon 8500

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 27 13:15:01 2002

I'm on the verge of buying a Radeon 8500 to replace the Rage128 card in
my G4 Sawtooth.  This is my home machine, which mostly runs OSX -- I
need the Radeon to take advantage of Quartz Extreme.   But it also has
YDL2.3 installed and I definitely find it useful to run linux from time
to time, particularly for telecommuting.

Questions:

1.  Can the default YDL2.3 kernel talk to an 8500 at all?

2.  If so, what kernel video= argument would I want?  I'm driving an
Apple lcd17 through a DVIator, which is what I'll continue to do with
the Radeon (the Sawtooth doesn't support adc). Right now I must specify
the following to get any video at all:

   video=aty128fb:1280x1024-8@60

Can I simply substitute 'radeonfb' or something similar for 'aty128fb'?
If I already have a video= argument in yaboot.conf, can I override it by
passing a different value directly to yaboot?

3.  If I can get it to boot and get console video with the appropriate
video= arg, is there an accelerated X driver I can use in place of r128?

Thanks -

--
rshapiro@bbn.com