Backup devices

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 3 17:46:01 2002

At 11:13 PM +0100 6/3/02, Iain Stevenson wrote:
>Unreliability was the issue.  I bought a Travan NS20

That's your problem right there, I'm afraid.  Nobody makes a decent
inexpensive tape drive any more.  I've heard of people having good
luck with Travan gear, but I've also heard of way too many problems
to trust it myself.

To get good results with tape, you have to go with a minimum of 4mm
DAT.  But even that format has its reliability problems, and last I
heard all the manufacturers of 4mm DAT mechanisms had decided to
cease research on new upgrades to the format and start phasing out
production of DAT drives in favor of other formats.

I have an Ecrix VXA-1 (custom high reliability recording method on
8mm AME media) and it seems to be quite solid.  The drives cost
somewhere between $500 and $1000 (forget exactly how much).  Media is
about $80 for one 33GB tape (66GB compressed), making the media more
costly than buying IDE hard drives.  (For that reason, and because I
haven't been using the tape drive much, I am contemplating the switch
to using HDs for backup; the advantages of tape don't apply to my
situation.  If somebody wants to make me an offer on the VXA-1 drive
I'll seriously consider selling it.)

Despite the expense, last time I surveyed the options, VXA-1 was the
closest thing to a decent low end tape system out there.  The drives
are expensive but not as expensive as competing formats in that size
range, the media is large enough for many purposes, it's fast, and it
has some innovative technologies which at least sound like they
should solve many of the reliability problems with other low end /
midrange tape formats.
--
Tim Seufert