PowerMac 5400 as server/gateway?

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 09:56:01 2002

Somewhen around 9:50 AM -0400 6/5/02, a person believing themself to
be Sam Moore scribbled:
>At 1:50 AM -0700 6/5/02, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>>At 9:25 AM +0200 6/5/02, =C5ke Svensson wrote:
>>>Checked in the old "Guru" from Newer Tech and it states that the 5400/120
>>>has PCI, but is there an available slot? If there is,  you could by a sec=
ond
>>>NIC. Search this list for suitable one, although I can recommend a RTL813=
9
>>>NIC for a recent kernel.
>>
>>It's a PCI based motherboard for sure, but I don't remember whether
>>those all-in-one form factor Macs gave access to a slot.  If it does
>>have a free slot, a PCI NIC is quite easy to add as you say.
>
>According to Everymac, there aren't any slots free on this machine:
>
>http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_5400_120.html

That's not how *I* read that page.

I have one of these beasties; perfectly fine, yet rescued from
dumpster oblivion.  Of course, mine is a "Frankenmac"...I liked the
all-in-one form factor that I gutted my 6500 w/g3/300 upgrade and
shoved it into the chassis.  It's now the "Family Mac" used by the
wife and kids.

Having gutted it I can tell you that it has ONE PCI slot which may or
may not be vacant.  So theoretically you could have a card in the
CommSlot (CS-II) and one in the PCI slot and it should function as
you'd like.

=2E..ROMeyn
--
http://www2.potsdam.edu/dctm/prescor/signat-url.htm