Downgrading to php 4.06

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 10 18:48:01 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, bronto wrote:
>Hi.  Due to problems with php 4.12, I've decided to downgrade to the
>4.06 version that I had good luck with at ftp.froese.org.  Currently, I
>am running YDL 2.2, full installation.

 This is a pretty bad idea, considering that the 4.0.6 version had a well
publicized security exploit.

>I'm thinking there must be a better way.  I usually try to avoid
>compiling myself (because I don't know what I'm doing) but I suspect
>that this is the solution.  True?

 True. You shouldn't be afraid of compiling your own stuff. Most of the
time things will go well if you read the README and INSTALL files, the
rest of the time you'll learn a lot in the process. :-) Also, when you
compile your own stuff you don't have to wait for someone else to package
an RPM when an exploit is detected. If you are running a public server,
learning how to compile your own apps is *strongly* recommended.

 Here is an easy list of instructions to compile Apache and PHP that
should work with just about any version:

 Grab the Apache and PHP source tarballs, and put them in a directory.
Then as user root do this:

 tar -zxvf apache_1.3.XX.tar.gz
 tar -zxvf php-4.X.X.tar.gz

cd apache_1.3.XX/

./configure \
--enable-shared=max \
--prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install

cd ../php-4.X.X/

./configure \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-mysql \
--with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql/lib \
--with-ldap
make
make install

(NOTE --with-mysql, --with-pgsql, --with-ldap are optional and you might
not want/need them. There are many other options, check which ones you
want/need here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.configure.php)

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start should now start apache

 Email the list if you get stuck. Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh