RPM's or source? (was: Can I upgrade with RPMs?)

Shawn Coomey yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 19 14:07:01 2002

This actually brings up a larger issue (at least in my pea
brain) about Linux in general, I think. I pose the
following question for you Linux gurus out there:

On my system, I have MANY pieces of software installed
that I compiled from source (not RPM'd or apt-get'ted). I
know many folks, especially in the YDL world do the same
thing due to the relative dirth of PPC RPM's out there.
Back a few months ago, I wanted to upgrade to 2.2, so I
basically wiped the drives and started fresh. That was OK
for then, as I didn't have much necessary data to save.
What if I had tons of critical data and a clean wipe and
install wasn't an option?

Philosophically speaking and from an OS upgrade
standpoint, is the use of RPM's an all-or-nothing
prospect?

Shawn