Powerbook G3 series installer segmentation fault

Michael Gertz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 20 14:44:01 2002

Hi all,

I have much grief. I have a PB G3 series dual-scan with 256MB of RAM
and a 30MB hard disk (recent upgrade.)

I can start the YDL 2.2 installer just fine in text mode, with the
appropriate video setting (video=atyfb:vmode:10). I have no PCMCIA
card in the slot, no other peripherals, and only a battery and CD ROM
in the expansion bays.

However, whenever I get to transfering the packages from CD, the
installer invariably seg faults. It usually starts the transfer and
segfaults in the middle, byt it doesn't seem to always fail at the
same place. I've tried at least 20 times (really!) with all the
options I can think of: 2.2 and 2.4 kernel, no video driver
clicked/unclicked/etc. No luck.

I'm out of ideas. Does YDL install on this machine with these kernels?

Thanks,
--Mike