multiple linux installs

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 29 09:25:02 2002

>So, I'd like to have YD & woody sit on the same drive together.  I've
>booted multiple distros in the x86 world with lilo plenty of times.
>Normally I install lilo to the root (/) partition of the 1st install, and
>install it to the MBR from the 2nd install, with a "other" stanz
>pointing to the 1st install's root partition.
>
>The PPC world kinda threw me with the bootstrap partition and yaboot.  I'm
>not sure what is required, and what the equivalent of what I'm trying to
>do above is.  Can any one shed some light on this for me?

Hi from a fellow SUNY IT guy!

I would try (on a non-production unit, of course!) a single bootstrap
partition, a single swap, and two / (as defined in the installers for
each distro).

Then modify /etc/yaboot.conf to point to the appropriate partition
for each distro.

That SHOULD work.  I think!  :-/

I haven't yet decided to go the linux route on my PB G4, but I have
it (YDL 2.1) running on a WallStreet PB G3 rather happily.

...ROMeyn
--

signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/dctm/prescor/signat-url.htm
-