PCMCIA, Sleepmode, and Network Cards, oh my!

Nathan Buck yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 2 15:08:00 2002

To remedy my little failing NIC problem in my G3 Lombard powerbook, I went
out and purchased a carbus NIC made by Netgear (The FA510 model).  As
fortune would have it, it doesn't work under MacOS, but hey, I don't
use that for anything but accessing my scanner anyway so who cares.

Works Great under linux though, except for a small little teeny tiny issue
thats been driving me crazy for the greater part of a week.

Everytime that I put the book to sleep, after it wakes up it fails to
use/see/access the PCMCIA network card.  To fix the problem, I pull it out
and stick it back in and it work... except, in the log (/var/log/messages)
It looks as though its loaded ANOTHER set of drivers (its using the tulip
drivers).  This isn't that big of an issue really, except that the drivers
keep adding up as the time goes by, and by the time its loaded tulip14 or
so I need to restart just to clean up the memory.  That and having to yank
the card everytime I put it to sleep is making this kind of irritating.

It seems to me that there must be some way to write a script that would
unload the previous driver, and initial a probe/load sequence on wake up
or something, I just have not been able to find a single source of info on
this that would require less effort from me then pulling the card twice a
day and rebooting every other day.

Anybody have a similar problem like this and a simple solution that
doesn't backlog my list of 'required home computer work' to next month?

Nathan.