Installing Problems with YDL 2.2 - Fails at reading local package database

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 4 04:35:01 2002

02-May-02 at 21:06, Jim Askey (jim@freshapplejuice.com) wrote :
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping that someone can help me! I'm trying to install YDL 2.2 on a
> PowerMac 7500 with a 3dfx Voodoo 5 PCI and USB PCI card.  I have
> installed BootX OK, and loaded into the installer using text mode and
> kernel 2.2. The installer runs fine and i'm able to get upto the
> beginning of the install of the packages. At that point, after the
> installed says 'reading local package database' it comes up with
>
> ERROR
> -----------
> PLEASE CORRECT MANUALLY

Try holding down alt and pressing F2, F3, and F4 and seeing if there is
any extra information there that can help. You will have to re-run the
install up to the point where it errors, of course.

At any point in the install you can do this.

ALT-F2 gives you access to a limited command shell (from which you may be
able to correct the error, if the machine hasn't crashed) but you have to
know what you're doing.

ALT-F3 gives you some basic system messages

ALT-F4 gives more involved system messages, and error messages.

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:99.81% see www.mersenne.org]
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain