YDL 2.2 and ext3

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 3 16:49:05 2002

On Friday 03 May 2002 06:42 pm, Jay Savage wrote:
> Has anyone turned on ext3 journaling with the new kernel yet?  And if s=
o,
> with what results?  It's tempting to turin it on for my PowerBook
> 5300--which is more than a little schitzophrenic--if I can successfully
> install 2.2 with the NuBus input layer.  But it seems like journaling h=
as
> the potential to significantly slow down an already slow system,
> particularly with apps that utilize a large tmp file.  By my math, ever=
> journaled write increases its CPU usage by at least 200%, its RAM usage=
 by
> at least 100%, and its physical write time by at least 100%, or more; I=
'm
> not exactly sure how writing to the journal and committing to the journ=
al
> use RAM and CPU resources.  Most of the time that might go unnoticed, b=
ut
> it seems like it has the potential to negatively impact performance, an=
> severely.  Or am I out in left field? What have people's experiences wi=
th
> ext3 been like?
>
> thanks,
>
> --jay savage

I enabled it on my g3 powerbook after installing YD 2.2 & it's working we=
ll=20
for me.

I don't have any hard numbers to put against your claim that it *should* =
be=20
slower, but I can tell you that in my case I've noticed a performance boo=
st. =20
Things seemed much more peppy after the upgrade.  I've been running ext3 =
on=20
my PC running RedHat 7.2 for a few months now & really never noticed a=20
performance difference between ext2 & ext3 - but I've got a 1ghz processo=
r &=20
a ton of ram in that machine, so I probably wouldn't see any marked chang=
es=20
in the first place.  My powerbook, on the other hand, only has a 300 mhz=20
processor w/ 64 megs of ram.  Like I say, I could notice a difference on =
that=20
machine.

All in all, have never had any problems using ext3 on my PC.  Have only b=
een=20
using it on my powerbook for a few days now, but I don't anticipate any=20
problems.