Install Problems YDL 2.2 - reading local package database

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 6 03:10:00 2002

05-May-02 at 23:43, Jim Askey (jim@freshapplejuice.com) wrote :
> OK, so i've given what was sugested a go (thanks for the info - good to
> know!!)  and have noticed the following system message after selecting
> the cd drive as the install media:
>

> ISO 9660 Extension : Microsoft Joliet Level 1
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls-cp437, errorno=2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls-cp437, errorno=2
> ISOFS: Changing to secondary root
>
> Any ideas what this means and if it could be the reason why my install
> is failing??

I have had this error and still successfully installed all the packages.
Can't boot yet, but I'm working on it. Getting kernel panics as it can't
find root, although the installer finished fine and said set root to
/dev/hda8 (Old World machine) which I did, then the kernel says "I can't
find root and I want to scream!" (really!)

Your error will come up about at the stage that you say where the install
media is, right? But then at what point does it actually bail? What system
do you have? I think I might be able to help I have been 3 weeks trying to
install Yellow Dog and I still haven't quite got there but I have learned
a hell of a lot!

I managed to spill water on my keyboard on last night's late night session
and now if I hit characters I get 2 letters come up. Waiting for it to dry
so that I can boot into the CD and onto the shell (Alt-F2) and then trying
to see if the filesystem is OK by mounting hda8 manually and finding out
what's going on.

Anyone with any tips beforehand please let me know.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:4.930% see www.mersenne.org]
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.