B&W G3 can't boot YDL2.2

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 9 13:56:01 2002

At 11:39 AM -0700 5/9/02, Pete Peters wrote:
>Uh, Al, if the Maxtor is the only IDE drive in your Mac, I think it should
>be
>
>  /dev/hda <----note the last letter
>
>Where are you coming up with /dev/hde???? Or is that just a typo?

Unlike SCSI device nodes where the system allocates sda to the first
drive found, sdb to the second found, and so forth, IDE device node
assignments are fixed.  hda and hdb go to the first IDE controller,
with hda being the master.  hdc (master) and hdd (slave) are for the
second controller.  So on and so forth.

In Al's case, he has two built-in IDE busses on the B&W motherboard,
and his disk is attached to a third IDE controller.  That controller
therefore gets hde and hdf, regardless of what is or is not attached
to other IDE busses.
--
Tim Seufert