ydl2.2 and usb printers (Epson 740 in particular)

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 08:43:11 2002

I'm running a standard ydl2.2 installation on a G4/450 sawtooth with
an Epson 740 usb printer.  I'm having no luck at all printing.

The 'printer' module is loaded, the printer is showing up in
/proc/bus/devices, /dev/usb/lp0 has the right ownership (root:lp) and
protections (crw-rw----), the lpd service itself seems fine.  When I
try to print, a queue entry shows up briefly in the list, then
disappears as if the print had completed normally.  No errors are
logged anywhere that I can find.  I've tried both the ydl2.2 printconf
filters and the older rhs-printfilters (with PS_SEND_EOF=YES added to
postscript.cfg).  I tried using cups instead LPRng and it crashed the
kernel immediately.  I'm out of ideas.

Fwiw, I used to run linuxppc200q4 on the same hardware and I had no
trouble printing to the epson.

[ps I have a digest subscription, so if you have a good solution to
this problem please cc me directly so I see it today instead of
tomorrow]

--
rshapiro@bbn.com