ydl2.2 and usb printers (Epson 740 in particular)

Michael J Flaherty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 17 12:56:01 2002

On Friday 17 May 2002 09:43, you wrote:
> I'm running a standard ydl2.2 installation on a G4/450 sawtooth with
> an Epson 740 usb printer.  I'm having no luck at all printing.
>
> The 'printer' module is loaded, the printer is showing up in
> /proc/bus/devices, /dev/usb/lp0 has the right ownership (root:lp) and
> protections (crw-rw----), the lpd service itself seems fine.  When I
> try to print, a queue entry shows up briefly in the list, then

I had problems with the same printer while trying to use it with the serial
connection on my 7300.  I took it and hooked it to an old IBM desktop while I
installed Mandrake 8.2 onto it; used the parallel connection.  It was
auto-detected and configured quite easily with CUPS.

CUPS on the 7300 had no trouble locating it on the network (hooked to the
IBM) and printing to it either, just couldn't use it via the serial port.
I've installed a usb card into the 7300 in the meanwhile.

I'll try it with that usb over the weekend and let you know if I have any
better luck.   Might be helpful....

MJF