IBM jdk needs kernel patch to fix floating stacks problem? LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

nigel kersten yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 19 04:53:01 2002

The problem appears to be this:

(it's not just a YDL specfic problem):

Known Issues / Trouble Spots:
-----------------------------

    o Some Java JVMs (both from Sun and IBM) don't work with the new
      floating stack feature of the included version of glibc.  The failures
      are due to programming assumptions in the JVMs that are now invalid.
      JVM vendors are working on making the necessary corrections.  Until
      corrected JVM packages are available, you may force glibc to use the
      deprecated stack model by setting the following environment variable:

                          LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

but from what I can work out, this doesn't work, so I guess the patch mustn't
have been applied to YDL 2.2, and 2.1 must be using an older version of
glibc?

Do Blackdown normally not have a JIT included with their java distribution?
Seems kind of a strange thing to do....

nigel