Install on 8500

Brian Young yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 8 14:04:01 2002

> I am attempting an install YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 8500/180.
>
> My first question (only 1/2 serious) is, should the install take 10, 20,
> or more than 30 attempts? ;)
>
> I originally installed YDL 1.2, and that seemed to work ok.
>
> I then tried 2.3 and got errors of various flavors every time. I was
> finally successful doing the most basic of installs, but there were not
> enough utilities installed to allow me to do anything.
>
> So I tried again... and again... wiping the existing partitions each
> time to clear out any bad ju-ju...
>
> The install *never* completes without some errors (should it?)
>
> When the install *seems* complete (though it gets errors) I reboot and get:
>
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
>
> I do and get the same results...
>
> Am I missing something? (besides my patience!)
>
> I keep thinking some magic combination will work, but to no avail :\
>

> Pete

Being pretty n00b myself, I have but a few suggestions, but they could help
(stranger things have happened).  First, did you purchase a YDL CD or did
you burn the ISO to disk?  Could be bad media.  Second off, tried double
checking what partition it's trying to boot off of?  Could just be looking
in the wrong place when it does get complete.  Anywho, my 2 pesos.  Hope
that helps!

--
Brian Young
bcy@scn.org