Install on 8500

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 9 18:56:01 2002

Pete Prodoehl wrote:

>>> I am attempting an install YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 8500/180.

Hi, I was installing YDL 2.3 on a PowerMac 7500/100, and that machine is
very similar to PowerMac 8500. It is possible. I always left "no video
driver" unchecked, I have no clue why I should need it.

Both GUI and text-based-installer did work. What I really forgot first
was the huge disk-space I had to keep ready for the installer:
home/office option takes 1,5 GB, the "developer" 1,7 GB etc. If the
installer runs out of diskspace it hangs forever somewhen, without any
useful message about what was wrong. I started with a 1 GB partition :-p

That said, aren't those installer nothing else than modified
redhat-installers (and YDL is basically a PPC-specific redhat-distro?)

Markus