Trying to run local network AND kppp

Irena & Richard Jenkins yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 21 22:50:01 2002

At 10:16 AM -0600 9/5/02,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I'm trying to configure my local network on my yellowdog G4. I am also
>trying to connect to the internet via ppp. Let's talk about ppp first.
>
>My isp is earthlink and I can connect to it fine using os X, 9.2, and
>RedHat on my pentium II. I tried to copy my settings from the RedHat
>machine and I am having all kinds of problems. First, I can connect fine.
>The modem works great, I can hear it dial, it connects and brings up a
>status menu in the kde panel (btw, I'm connecting using kppp). Once
>connected I try to use a tcp/ip application and I cannot get any address to
>resolve. I use nslookup in the terminal and I get errors. I try to ping
>yahoo and I get errors. Occasionally if I fart around with things for a
>while, I am able to get connected and everything is hunkydory. After I
>restart, though, it's back to the drawing board. I did just notice that
>when I try to enter any dns addresses in the network configuration panel
>and save them, none of them are there when I reopen the network config
>panel.
>
>Again, I have no problem whatsoever on my RedHat box, and I'm using all of
>the same settings.

I have a G4 and a G3 running YDL 2.3 on a network at home with
dial-up internet too.  I experience similar symptoms ... ie.  I can
dial the ISP and get through the identification phase smoothly.  From
there I cannot send/receive mail or surf the net.  I cannot ping the
DNS servers.

Checking /etc/resolv.conf reveals that kppp IS inserting DNS's into this file.

Funny thing is that about 30 or 40% of the time the connection works smoothly!!

I tried a second ISP ... with settings I know to be correct (they
work for this contact didn't they).  Similar difficulty.

I know I didn't have such problems with other distributions ... or with YDL 2.0

I'd appreciate any help.

Richard
Irena & Richard Jenkins                                      VK1NDV  &  VK1RJ
Canberra,  AUSTRALIA