Trying to run local network AND kppp

Troy Vitullo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 13:14:01 2002

Make sure kppp has the gateway box checked in the config. Also.

Type:

netstat -r

Look for the line that begins with 'Default.'

If this line has eth0 at the last column we have found the problem. If th=
is is=20
the case, edit the configuration file below by typing:

pico /etc/sysconfig/network

Look for this line:

GATEWAYDEV=3Deth0

Change it to:

GATEWAYDEV=3Dppp0

Restart your computer and start up the modem. Does this work? The caveat =
here=20
is, I'm not sure if this will mess up the ethernet settings, but it's a=20
start.

Maybe.=20

Troy

On Thursday 05 September 2002 06:42, Irena & Richard Jenkins wrote:
> At 10:16 AM -0600 9/5/02,
>
> yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
> >Hi all!
> >
> >I'm trying to configure my local network on my yellowdog G4. I am also
> >trying to connect to the internet via ppp. Let's talk about ppp first.
> >
> >My isp is earthlink and I can connect to it fine using os X, 9.2, and
> >RedHat on my pentium II. I tried to copy my settings from the RedHat
> >machine and I am having all kinds of problems. First, I can connect fi=
ne.
> >The modem works great, I can hear it dial, it connects and brings up a
> >status menu in the kde panel (btw, I'm connecting using kppp). Once
> >connected I try to use a tcp/ip application and I cannot get any addre=
ss
> > to resolve. I use nslookup in the terminal and I get errors. I try to
> > ping yahoo and I get errors. Occasionally if I fart around with thing=
> > for a while, I am able to get connected and everything is hunkydory.
> > After I restart, though, it's back to the drawing board. I did just
> > notice that when I try to enter any dns addresses in the network
> > configuration panel and save them, none of them are there when I reop=
en
> > the network config panel.
> >
> >Again, I have no problem whatsoever on my RedHat box, and I'm using al=
l of
> >the same settings.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> I have a G4 and a G3 running YDL 2.3 on a network at home with
> dial-up internet too.  I experience similar symptoms ... ie.  I can
> dial the ISP and get through the identification phase smoothly.  From
> there I cannot send/receive mail or surf the net.  I cannot ping the
> DNS servers.
>
> Checking /etc/resolv.conf reveals that kppp IS inserting DNS's into thi=
> file.
>
> Funny thing is that about 30 or 40% of the time the connection works
> smoothly!!
>
> I tried a second ISP ... with settings I know to be correct (they
> work for this contact didn't they).  Similar difficulty.
>
> I know I didn't have such problems with other distributions ... or with=
 YDL