scsi, ydl and 2.4 kernels

Barry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 06:58:01 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Christopher wrote:

 > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Barry wrote:
 > >I have a G4-450 with two internal scsi harddrives and an ATTO pci card
 > >(and no IDE drive.) This setup has given me many headaches.
 >
 > Hi Barry,
 >
 > What sort of problems have you been having? Practically all of my G4s are
 > SCSI only (including my home machine) and I haven't had any problems
 > whatsoever with the installer. I suspect the problem might be with your
 > SCSI card. Which one do you have? All of mine are the ExpressPCIUL2Ds
 > Photos of some them here:

That is my card, and the problems were getting the old yaboot to find
the disks. I learned on this list that you had to supply the config file
with a long hardware address, but that was after a fair amount of
stumbling around on my own. Then later, I tried several of the early
prebuilt 2.4 kernels, I got nothing but kernel panics. When I tried to
build a himem kernel, I was never able to boot. It was a while ago (with
Linuxppc 2000, the early version). I suspected some compiler/glibc
problems  -- like the one that affected Redhat 7.0 or the scsi config.

And, so when the installer failed to boot on the first pass with the 2.4
version, I just ran it as 2.2 in order to get the system up and running.

 > http://www.mcgill.ca/secretaboutbox/mcgill_servers.jpg
 >
 > >Before YDL, I've tried several prebuilt 2.4 kernels and never succeeded.
 > >I also tried a few times to compile my own, but I couldn't get the
 > >configuration right -- it appears to have problems reading the scsi
 > >disks. I also want high memory support in it.
 >
 > Yeah, it is a bit of a pain that the default kernel doesn't have himem
 > support. If you want, I could send you my kernel config (I simply turned
 > on HIMEM, removed AppleTalk and other such non-sense and added USB Mass
 > Storage support for my camera.). Lemme know if you want me to email it to
 > you.

That would be great, thanks!

 > >It seems the hfs bootloader partition must be exactly 10mb. Is that
 > >true?
 >
 > No.
 >
 > > And is it visible in the Mac OS9 (I have 10.2 on a small partition, but
 > >no 9).
 >
 > I don't think it should be, but I don't use MacOS any more on my home
 > machine or my work machines. I just upgraded the HD on my iBook (talk
 > about PITA!! - http://open.mcgill.ca/ibook_hd_change.jpg), and I
installed
 > MacOS, OS X and YDL on it for fun. I've only booted into MacOS for a few
 > moments, but I didn't see any Linux partitions.

I almost never use Mac, and I was just curious of OS X. But I meant that
small hfs partition that you put first on the map, but then I'm not sure
what it ends up being formatted. I was just curous. Under my old setup,
yaboot was on a small hfs partition and the kernels were read from
there. Of course that was readable by the Mac system.  But this  way is
much, much better!!

 > Cheers,
 >
 > Chris
 >
 > --