M4 DATA Magnetic Tape Problem

Mangala N yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 27 23:52:00 2002

Hello,

We have a M4DATA Magnetic Tape Drive (Reel Type).
We have connected this to Linux machine through SCSI port.
The mt (or mt-st) command works well for 'rewind' and 'status'.
However i am not able to write anything to (or read from) the tape.

I used the following command to write to tape:

dd if=jnkfile.txt of=/dev/st0

I got the error:

20+1 records in
20+1 records out
dd: closing output file `/dev/st0`: Input/output error

I was checking on the Internet and came to know that you have faced a
similar problem.
Please tell me if you know the solution for this problem.

The same error occurs even if i use the 'tar' command.
tar cvf /dev/st0 jnkfile.txt

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mangala
MANGALA N				    Ph: (080) 5341909/874, 5244059
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing 	E-mail:
"CDAC Knowledge Park"			   	 mangala@cdacb.ernet.in
#1, Old Madras Road			   	 mangala@operamail.com
Bangalore - 560 038, INDIA