yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #447 - 13 msgs

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Oct 5 22:05:01 2002

jesse wrote:

>Well, I got it to work (in that it no longer tells me shutdown is invalid).
>I used su - root to switch to root, and then /sbin/shutdown -h now.  I'm not
>sure which of those changes made it work, but thanks!! :-)

I think that both are necessary. I am unable to shutdown as a normal
user, unless it is through Gnome's logout window. I think there is some
way to set it up so that the shutdown command looks like it's coming
from root. I don't know what it is though since it was already set up
that way. I've run into the invalid problem with other commands in the
/sbin directory. So, if you run into the problem again with other
commands, try adding the /sbin. I also tried "/sbin/shutdown now -h"
after reading some of your other responses. It works too.

>It still does not shut off the power, though.  Hmmmmm.
>
>I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that it seemed to not know
>what an iMac monitor was when I set it up (so I had to use 'failsafe' in
>xconfigurator instead of choosing imac monitor blah blah blah).  does that
>sound plausible?  Maybe I'm just shutting off the monitor when I hit the
>power button.

I am not familiar with the iMac. Is there some indicator on it that
shows that the computer has shut down? With mine, shutdown only kills
the computer. The green indicator light on the front goes off along with
a clicking sort of noise. The indicator light on the monitor goes from
green to yellow. Everything else - monitor, printer etc. - I have to
shut off manually -  which I usually do with the on/off switch on the
surge protector. I have to do this despite the fact that it recognized
my monitor without any problems.

I just looked back at your original message to see what the monitor
problem was. I haven't had a respawning too fast message with my YDL
install. I did have it with the LinuxPPC install. I got around it my
setting it to start up in runlevel 3 and starting X windows using startx
at the command line. I have YDL set up the same way. LinuxPPC did a
graphical login by default, so I had to edit the /etc/inittab file to
get runlevel 3. Since YDL gave me the option to do a text startup, I
didn't give YDL the opportunity to give me a respawning too fast
message. Thus, I don't know if it does it or not. You might be able to
get around the respawning too fast message by starting up in runlevel
three. You can then adjust the monitor settings after you're logged in.
It also took me a couple weeks to discover I could greatly improve the
resolution by turning on the accelerated video. I guess it doesn't
always pay to do things the way the installer suggests is safest.

>It doesn't tell me it was unmounted uncleanly when I boot up...

That's a very positive sign. Mine forces a disk check when it has gone
through 30 startups without a disk check. You may want to watch this if
you see it. I don't recall seeing anything that needed fixing when it
went through one of these checks. However, when the check was forced due
to unclean shutdowns, there were usually several things it corrected.
None of them seemed very serious though.

I'm glad I was able to help!