VNC Server for 2.1

bronto yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 8 16:12:01 2002

Micheal and Chris:

Peter Castro solved the VNC problem back in July.  Here's his quote:
At 6:07 PM -0700 7/18/2002, Peter A. Castro wrote:
>I'll do you one better: rpms
>
>http://www.fruitbat.org/linux/ppc/ydl-2.3/index.html
>
>http://www.fruitbat.org/linux/ppc/ydl-2.3/vnc-3.3.3r2-34a.ppc.rpm
>http://www.fruitbat.org/linux/ppc/ydl-2.3/vnc-doc-3.3.3r2-34a.ppc.rpm
>http://www.fruitbat.org/linux/ppc/ydl-2.3/vnc-server-3.3.3r2-34a.ppc.rpm
>http://www.fruitbat.org/linux/ppc/ydl-2.3/vnc-3.3.3r2-34a.src.rpm
>
>I've grabbed (what I think is) the latest 3.3.3r2 source rpm, added my
>patch to it and rebuild the src/ppc rpms as mod 34a.  I've installed and
>tested them under YDL-2.3, so all I can say is "they work for me" :-)
>
>I have no idea if my simple patch is truely all there is to re-adding PPC
>support (I suspect some maintainer, somewhere, is muttering "wrong wrong
>wrong!").  But at least it works (for now).

I've got it working on my system; it's pretty reliable but not fast
over bronze DSL.

Chris:

Running X11 remotely sounds like a dream come true for me.  I work
very little with X itself and have no idea where to start.  Can you
point me to a HOWTO?

Rob