VNC Server for 2.1

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 8 21:10:00 2002

Rob,

first, you have to have X11 running. If you use character, see if startx=20
works.

The next step would be to bring the machine to init level 5 (X11 login). =
You=20
can do that by typing as root:

init 5

do not do that, if startx isn't working, you have to get your config righ=
t,=20
first, in this case!!!

now, you should have the standard yellowdog X11 login. So far, so good.

in /etc/X11 you find a program called prefdm

Change the preferred login thing to
 preferred=3D/usr/bin/gdm

I did that, regardless of which interface (GNOME/KDE/ANOTHER) I want to u=
se.=20
It has something else there, which is Terrasofts's own version, which can=
 not=20
be configured.

Now, you should re-boot (worked for me) and gdm should be running. You ca=
n=20
click on 'System' -> 'Configure' -> (enter root password) -> 'Expert' whe=
re=20
you can enable XDMCP.

Now, save he changes and let it restart the X server. Once that's done, y=
our=20
machine can be remotely accessed via X11 ... if you're behind a firewall =
and=20
you want to come in from the outside, you have to open port 177 in the=20
firewall ... but then, I'm sure, you know all that :).

Enjoy!