Remote X11 Connections

bronto yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 9 21:27:01 2002

Making progress.  Ran gdmconfig and made the settings, restarted gdm
when the GUI config tool gave me that option.

Now I go to my PC and try to start an X session.  I ran the command
line from within cygwin:

xwin.exe :2 -kb > -query IPADDRESS_HERE > /dev/null 2>&1 &

(of course substituting my actual IP address)

and it started an X session, but not anything more.  No login or
anything.  You know, the screen with the gray background and the big
X cursor.  The command line reported back:

[1] 753049

I've got no idea whether this was a local session of X, or whether it
was actually connecting to my server.  After closing the X window I
tried the exact same thing again and got:

[2] 733393
[1]   Done 		xwin.exe :2 -kb > -query IPADDRESS_HERE >
/dev/null 2>&1 &

Next?