AGAIN: USB hang on printing & moving mouse

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 21 18:55:01 2002

Albrecht,

I have reported this problem to the linux-usb-users,
linux-usb-devel and the yellowdog-general lists in the
past: I have the same problem on my iMac Rev. B.

I am surprised you still see the problem in the 2.4.20
kernel, as I got the suggestion to try newer kernels
in the past. I am still running a 2.4.19-pre10 kernel.

>From answers I got (particularly from David Brownell
on the Linux-usb-devel list, who has contributed code
to the Linux-usb effort), it is most likely a bug in
the OPTi USB controller in the older iMacs.

OK, it might work fine in MacOS 8.6, as it does on
mine, but Apple could have written their driver codes
around that bug. The Linux community however writes
along the lines of the USB generic specifications and
adds patches for bugs in frequently used hardware.
Bottom line is: if there were a hacker who happened to
work on USB and who also happens to have the desire
eliminate the bug on one of the earlier iMacs, it
would be done. That leaves you or me to do the job.
Problem is: I don't have the time. So I am using the
following workaround: I don't move the mouse while the
computer is sending data to the printer. Sometimes I
forget, but the I just hard reboot the machine (the
ext3 filesystem comes in handy here).

Cheers,

Aurel