trackpad notap doesn't work at startup(?!)

Rupert Morris yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 7 18:00:01 2002

OK, this one's a strange one. Please read carefully before replying.

I had YDL 2.1 installed, and have been slowly upgrading to 2.2 packages via
red-carpet. One of these packages must be the culprit, but I'll be damned if
I can figure this out:

Trackpad notap does NOT work on startup, at all. I've got the usual flag set
to notap in /etc/sysconfig/mouse, which is called by rc.sysinit. I also
manually added two more instances of /usr/bin/trackpad notap to my
rc.sysinit (and later removed them), and this did not work either. I also
added that command to my rc.local, to NO effect.Once boot up is complete, I
tap the trackpad, and tapping is turned on on my Wallstreet 292mhz
powerbook. Grrr!!!

HOWEVER: Once I am logged into a session (Gnome, Fluxbox, console,
whatever), as root I can execute /usr/bin/trackpad notap and it works.

SECOND HOWEVER: I can clearly see as rc.sysinit is executing, the telltale
READREG(3, 0) READREG(3, 1) READREG(3, 2) READREG(3, 3) which is the sign
that trackpad notap has been executed. Yet it does not have an effect
(trackpad taps still).

So what gives? Any ideas? This is quite annoying.Why is the command
'working' but yet doing nothing?

At this point I'll accept wild guesses.

BTW, I have reinstalled pmud, no effect.