Radeon 7500

Ron McCall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 7 20:21:01 2002

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 12:12:45PM -0600, Dan Burcaw wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Ron McCall wrote:
> > I also found some interesting info in my dmesg output during boot
> > (when using video=radeon:dfp):
> >
> > fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on
> > /pci@f0000000/ATY,BlueStoneParent@10/ATY,BlueStone_A
> > no framebuffer address found for
> > /pci@f0000000/ATY,BlueStoneParent@10/ATY,BlueStone_B
> >

> The BlueStone_B part just refers to your second video connector on that
> card I imagine.  Could you try a newer kernel (e.g. benh rsync) and
> see if console switching works?

Right, there are two Open Firmware subtrees, one for each "head" on the
card.  A quick look at the display-type property for each "head" does
show that A is the ADC connector and B is the CRT connector.  However, I
wasn't so much concerned about the lack of a framebuffer for B but
rather that for A it says "Open Firmware frame buffer".  With my Rage
128 Pro card, I was used to seeing this sort of message when using
video=ofonly and was used to seeing a more specific message showing the
name of the driver or video card when using something like
video=aty128fb:vmode:22.  I don't see any radeon nor radeonfb messages
in my dmesg output (other than the echo of the kernel arguments).  That
was what was leading me to believe that it wasn't really picking up my
video=radeon:dfp correctly.

Sure, I will build a BenH kernel and see how that works.  It may take me
a few days since I got volunteered to work a bunch of overtime this
week.

Thanks for the help!

Ron McCall