Biege G3 user accounts crash YDL 2.3

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 17 18:07:01 2002

Phil Hopkins wrote:

> I have YDL 2.3 installed on a Biege G3 and 15 G ide drive. It ...crash > > Also I installed YDL 2.3 on an internal 4 G scsi drive and everything works fine.

I have a Rev.A (Gossamer) Beige G3 with YDL 2.3 on the internal
4+GB UW SCSI which doesn't crash. On my IDE HD I run Mac OS 9 +
X. They irregularly crash. My computer also has a pair of 1st
generation DVD-RAM drives (2.6GB/side), one a SCSI drive on the
internal MESH SCSI bus, the other on the internal IDE bus. Other
than the bus interface they're identical and running the same
(A120) Firmware versions... both Panasonic:
ATA  1:0 Matshita PD-2 LF-D110
SCSI 0:2 Matshita PD-2 LF-D100
The ATA one is Apple Branded, both HDs are Apple branded.
Using Mac Retrospect Backup software to backup the IDE HD to
DVD-RAM cartridges, I NEVER get write errors on the SCSI drive,
and randomly get write errors on the ATA interfaced DVD-RAM
drive. I can pull the erroring cartridge out of the ATA drive
and put it into the SCSI drive and the same software will write
the same data on the same cartridge with no errors...

therefore, I conclude that the Beige G3s have error-prone
IDE/ATA busses or hardware drivers.

--
Copyright 2002 Angela Kahealani. http://www.kahealani.com/
All Rights Reserved Without Prejudice, UCC 1-207,