Adapted 2930U Support

Armen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 20 23:32:01 2002

All-
I am attempting to run YDL 2.3 on a Power Macintosh 7500 with the following
major specs:
NewerTech 400MHz G3 ZIF (via NewerTech Carrier Card)
256 RAM (128MBx2, interleaved)
Ati Rage Orion Video Card
Apple 10/100 PCI NIC
Adaptec 2930U SCSI Card
Seagate 9.1 GB (don't remember the model number, too lazy to crack the case)
via the 2930U
Apple compatable 24x cdrom  via mesh
Internal Zip 100 via mesh
The only external devices are an apple extended keyboard and kensington
thinking mouse.
Thus far I've been unable to compile a kernel (using the included 2.4.19
source) that allows me to boot off the seagate drive (via the 2930U card.)
All sources I've read state that the AIC7xxx driver should be sufficient,
however both the "old" and current drivers available (with both and each as
a module, and as either compiled in) do not seem to work, the general error
being that it cannot find the root partition, due to its not finding the
scsi card at all.
The kernel on the cdrom and the one installed by default work without issue,
however even default compiles of the included source do not seem to work.
I ran up against this issue back in the day with LinuxPPC 2001 something or
other and managed to eventually get it working, however I don't seem to be
as sharp as I was back then, as I've been unable to get the card to work
this time around.
If anyone has any experience getting this card to work, please let me know
what driver (or otherwise) was required.
Thanks in advance.
Armen