Questions on I-Book(2)

Stephen Reiach yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 27 13:30:01 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:09:23 +0000
Andrew Hodel <andrew@eurozip.net> wrote:

> I have installed YDL 2.3 flawlessly but I have a few questions/concerns:
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a version of Xine for ppc to enable DVD playback, or
> for that matter, any other way?

Use ogle. On my ibook2 it works almost flawlessly. Better then Xine in my experience for playing DVDs.  Ogle is in the contrib repository so you should be able to 'apt-get install ogle'. NB. It's compiled with --disable-altivec so that it can work on things other then G4s. ogle_gui is also there.  [http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/]

> 2. Does anyone know why the mac keyboard volume controls "kinda" work, that
> is, they will change the volume, but at random, I must use the arts control
> to successfully change the volume.

I don't have a problem with the any of the special keys. However, I dont use KDE. Arts and I didn't get along. There is a trick of redirecting all sound to arts using the artsd daemon. As i recall you just start xmms by 'artsd xmms'. For most people using the OSS output usually fixes their static problems. Disableing arts should also work if you have esd installed. [Unless your trully attached to KDE sounds].  I remember seeing many threads on this problem when i was looking for a solution.

Stephen Reiach