YDL Seminar Classes

puli brothers yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 17:06:02 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Burcaw" <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com>
To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 11:52 PM
Subject: YDL Seminar Classes

> Hi All,
>
> We're thinking of doing some seminar classes about
> various YDL topics in Colorado.  Each class would
> be a 2-day session in Denver with perhaps 10-15
> people.  I have a few questions that I'd like
> people to respond to me privately about
> if you'd possibly be interested in attending something
> like this if it were offered:
>
>   * How much would you be willing to pay for a two
>     day session with the experts?  Exclude travel
>     and hotel.  I'm just interested in what you'd
>     pay Terra Soft to attend one of these.  We'd
>     likely cater the sessions and provide several
>     things that you could take home with you.

I tend to think about such seminars as costing between $200 and $300 a day
for materials, training room, instructor, etc.

>   * Is two-days a good amount of time?

Hard to say, really depends upon the quality of the material and the format
of the time. Given that Colorado is at least sorta central in the US, people
are looking at a half day travel each way. So you probably don't want to be
less than two days.

I used to work for Microsoft and we did a lot of this kind of thing in our
Developer Relations Group (I was a technical evangelist with DRG). We would
often plan the session based on a reception the night before anything
started to met the class, have them met each other, etc. Register, find out
where the classes were, etc.

Then we could start right in on the first day with content. Plan on a social
event at the end of the first night, a meet the people of YellowDog would be
good, have the devs, support people, etc. come over and be willing to met
the people, and answer questions.

I don't know what mix of your customers are companies or individuals. MSFT
(for what it is worth and I am not saying by any stretch that you should
follow what they do) would often split sessions, anticipating that some
customers would send multiple people, like a technical person responsible
for administration and deployment and a second person for development.

This is where you likely have the biggest problem, do you focus on building
Yellowdog, developing on Yellowdog or administering and tuning Yellowdog/

>   * What sort of topics would you be interested in
>     covering?

For me it would be tuning the platform. Removing packages you don't need (to
conserve space), customizing the envirionment. For example, there are n
editors, and you decide you like one, why not get rid of the rest. Being
better with scripts to start and stop services such as SMB.

>   * Would you want Terra Soft to organize any
>     social activities outside of the (two-day)
>     class schedule?

See above.

>   * Any other thoughts as we develop a program?

If I can provide any other assitance, or if you just want to bounce some
ideas of me please let me know.

Michael Cherry
Sr. OS Analyst
Directions on Microsoft
mikech@directionsonmicrosoft.com (work)
pulibros@earthlink.net (home)

BTW -- I have been featured on your Web site as one of your YDL users.
Thanks, that was nice of you.