wireless

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 22 08:12:01 2003

Hi.

At 16:25 +1000 on 2003-4-22 Greg Hamilton wrote:

 > In the meantime I'd like to get the Airport working.  Is there any
 > documentation or a website somewhere that explains what to do ?
 > I've go about as far as 'insmod airport' which seemed to work, but
 > when I run ifconfig all I find is eth0 and lo.

You have to run first iwconfig on what will be the new ethernet
adapter (and thus eth1 assuming that there was only eth0 originally).
Something like this:

    /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid $essid mode $mode key $key

where $essid is your network ID, $mode is Managed or Ad-Hoc as the
case may be, and $key is your cryptographic key in case you use WEP.
See the manual page for details.

After this, you can do ifconfig eth1 do bring 'er up and everything,
or just run dhcpcd eth1 if you have a DHCP server to get the
information from.

There is a good howto on the YDL Web site, at

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/airport24.shtml

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.