Optimize kernel for Xserve

Andreas Pack yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 23 01:40:01 2003

Hello to all!

YDL 2.3 (Xserve version) is running well on my Xserve (dual) for a
while. Now I would like to optimize the kernel because of two main
reasons:

1. the gigabit networking is not supported after installing YDL 2.3
2. i don't think the cpu-support is optimized for the Xserve

So I installed the sources of the YDL 2.3 kernel and took a look at
the kernel-tree, but I was overextended with the mac hardware. I come
from X86-machines and there you'll find any and exact informations
(card manufacturer, model, processor type etc.) about all hardware
which is supported by linux. Regarding to the Xserve I can't even
imagine what to choose in "network device support" because I found no
informations about the gigabit network cards (onebord/pci). And I
really don't want to open the Xserve to determine these informations.

So here are my questions: Does anyone know a link with exact
harware-informations of the Xserve (dual)? Or has anyone compiled his
own kernel for the Xserve yet? If yes, I would be delighted to receive
his kernel-configuration via eMail (linux@hobbytown.de) :)
Do I have to take the latest ben-tree for compilation? Which
network-card do I have to choose for gigabit networking? Is the
onboard and the pci network card identically?

Many thanks!!!

bYe, Andi