Optimize kernel for Xserve

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 24 01:19:01 2003

Andreas,

> YDL 2.3 (Xserve version) is running well on my Xserve (dual) for a
> while. Now I would like to optimize the kernel because of two main
> reasons:
>
> 1. the gigabit networking is not supported after installing YDL 2.3

You absolutely do need the PPC development kernel from

<URL:http://penguinppc.org/~benh/>

to get the mainboard Ethernet to support gigabit and to get any kind of
support for the second network interface (Broadcom Tigon gigabit).

> 2. i don't think the cpu-support is optimized for the Xserve

This is totally irrelevant.  Don't waste your time thinking whether the
kernel is optimized for a particular type of CPU.  This is the Mandrake
mindset that gains you maybe .001% in performance while making the
system incompatible with a number of older machines...

> imagine what to choose in "network device support" because I found no
> informations about the gigabit network cards (onebord/pci).

Hm, did you see that "GMAC (G4/iBook ethernet) support (OBSOLETE, use
Sun GEM)" entry in the "Ethernet 10/100 Mbit" section?

Don't know about you, but it told me that "Sun GEM & Apple GMAC support"
is what I wanted.

Under "Ethernet (1000 Mbit)" you'll find "Broadcom Tigon3". That's the
2nd network.

> And I really don't want to open the Xserve to determine these informations.

Why would you need to?  lspci is your friend.

00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. Tigon3 Gigabit Ethernet NIC (BCM5701) (rev 15)
22:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC (Sun GEM)

> Do I have to take the latest ben-tree for compilation?

Yes.

> Is the onboard and the pci network card identically?

No.

I'll send you my .config in private e-mail, no use bothering the list
with it.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.