Optimize kernel for Xserve

Andreas Pack yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 24 03:40:01 2003

First, thank you very much for the details answer an for your
configuration file! :o)

> You absolutely do need the PPC development kernel from

> <URL:http://penguinppc.org/~benh/>

> to get the mainboard Ethernet to support gigabit and to get any kind of
> support for the second network interface (Broadcom Tigon gigabit).

Hmm... ok, but I found the Tigon3 (tg3.0) support in
kernel-source-2.4.20-0.7d :) - I only need one gigabit network card.

Btw, is it enough to compile "Broadcom Tigon gigabit" as build-in (not
as module) or do I have to change something elsewhere in the
network-scripts or configuration files?
SuSE would use a module like this "alias eth0 tg3" in modules.conf i
think. But how do I associate an ethX-device to build-in modules with
YDL? That would be interesting for me.

> This is totally irrelevant.  Don't waste your time thinking whether
> the kernel is optimized for a particular type of CPU.  This is the
> Mandrake mindset that gains you maybe .001% in performance while
> making the system incompatible with a number of older machines...

Roger :o)

> Hm, did you see that "GMAC (G4/iBook ethernet) support (OBSOLETE, use
> Sun GEM)" entry in the "Ethernet 10/100 Mbit" section?

Yes, I looked in the kernel source for marked ethernet cards, but i'm
not really experienced with macintosh-hardware :( (I come from X86
machines). Sun GEM was one of many supported cards and I was not sure
what to choose. But apart from this, my main intention was to get the
gigabit-network card working.

> Under "Ethernet (1000 Mbit)" you'll find "Broadcom Tigon3". That's the
> 2nd network.

This information is like gold for me ;o)

> Why would you need to?  lspci is your friend.

Yes, I know and I tried lspci, but that is my result:

00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc.: Unknown device 1645 (rev 15)
22:0f.0 Class ffff: Apple Computer Inc.: Unknown device 0032 (rev ff)

Also if I run lcpci like this:

lspci -i /usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/pci/pci.ids

Do I have to compile the benh-kernel before that works?

> I'll send you my .config in private e-mail, no use bothering the
> list with it.

THX again :)