Optimize kernel for Xserve

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 24 04:15:01 2003

Andreas,

> First, thank you very much for the details answer an for your
> configuration file! :o)

No problem.

>> You absolutely do need the PPC development kernel from
>>
>> <URL:http://penguinppc.org/~benh/>
>>
>> to get the mainboard Ethernet to support gigabit and to get any kind of
>> support for the second network interface (Broadcom Tigon gigabit).
>
> Hmm... ok, but I found the Tigon3 (tg3.0) support in
> kernel-source-2.4.20-0.7d :) - I only need one gigabit network card.

The Tigon3 support in the 0.7d kernel fails to recognize Apple's version
of this card in any way whatsoever.  The driver won't even load.

I wouldn't have said you ABSOLUTELY DO NEED Ben's kernel if I didn't mean it.

> Btw, is it enough to compile "Broadcom Tigon gigabit" as build-in (not
> as module) or do I have to change something elsewhere in the
> network-scripts or configuration files?

You can compile it as a module or built-in, whichever way you prefer.

> SuSE would use a module like this "alias eth0 tg3" in modules.conf i
> think. But how do I associate an ethX-device to build-in modules with
> YDL? That would be interesting for me.

The same.

>From my /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 sungem
alias eth1 tg3

>> Hm, did you see that "GMAC (G4/iBook ethernet) support (OBSOLETE, use
>> Sun GEM)" entry in the "Ethernet 10/100 Mbit" section?
>
> Yes, I looked in the kernel source for marked ethernet cards, but i'm
> not really experienced with macintosh-hardware :(

Me neither, my background is the same as yours.  However, the "G4"
should have told you what's going on - surely you know the Xserve has
PowerPC G4 CPUs.

> Yes, I know and I tried lspci, but that is my result:
>
> 00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc.: Unknown device 1645 (rev 15)
> 22:0f.0 Class ffff: Apple Computer Inc.: Unknown device 0032 (rev ff)

Oh, I see.  I'm so used to replacing the PCI IDs file right away on any
new installs (I still install RH62 on all x86ware) that I didn't even
come to think of this possibility.

Do this:

cd /usr/share
mv pci.ids pci.ids.original
wget http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

Now run a lspci.

> Do I have to compile the benh-kernel before that works?

No, you just have to get the newest PCI IDs file.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.