LDAP authorization

Ben Hall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 5 07:38:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 08:51, Anna Kurpiel wrote:
> My question is: can I get same situation on Linux?
> During installation of YDL I has setup LDAP support on client,
> but when I'm trying to login to YDL he tells me that my home
> directory points to a
> directory "/Network/Servers/Users/some_user" which doesn't
> exist. Location is right for MacOSX cause it use AFP automount.
> But can this share be mounted during bootup (with SMB)? Maybe I
> can use different home directories for MacOSX and Linux? But how?
> Best regards, TomaszQ.

I would use NFS.  OSX Server should have an NFS export GUI, if not,
there's a free one for the standard version of OSX.  (Can't remember the
name, maybe something original like NFS Manager...)

So, on the server side you have to set up OSX Server to export
/Network/Servers/... (whatever the directory is.) and then on the Linux
side, you have to tell Linux to mount the NFS dir in the correct place.
To test, this would be done by issuing the command:

mount -t nfs server:/path/you/shared /Network/Servers

One you get this working, you can either add the mount to the /etc/fstab
file or set automount up to mount the share.  (See the respective man
pages.)

Of course, if you just want to use LDAP to authenticate and you don't
want them to have their home dirs, you could just make the
/Network/Servers/Users/some_user directories.

Ben