Ipchains and Iptables

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 16 03:22:01 2003

I sent in a query regarding ipchains and got a response regarding
iptables (which I'm appreciative of) which I attempted.  It was nice to
discover that at least the response was approving the guessing I was
engaging in.
However, I decided after seeing the output of ./iptables -L, that there
had to be a better way other than becoming an expert on nearly every
little nuance.

I took the chance to use gnome-lokkit, and so far it seems to be doing
the job.  Thought this list and others should know so that they can
pursue other careers besides hacking Linux server/client apps.  I can
hear it now; what another lifestyle possible other than coding with
pizza and beer?  Say it ain't so!!

Just poking fun... do check out gnome-lokkit.  Using it does not
liberate anyone from cogent thinking regards what the computer is doing
and what you don't want it to do but it's one step better than referring
to iptables which somehow reminds me that hacking in hex would be easier
(at least I can cross check the hex with dec).  I'll check out iptables,
when I've more time on my hands and less pressure.  Thanks, just the
same. :-)