MAC 7600/120

Nathanael Hasbrouck yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 4 19:21:01 2003

>Secondly, compared to pentium series where would you rank
>  7600/120.

About a Pentium 200 or so, roughly, but I'm biased too. :^)

>The 7600 is an easy processor upgrade--one of the easiest boxes to
>open. A 200mhz card can be found occasionally on ebay for about $20
>US.

A search for "mac g3 upgrade" usually turns up something
(specifically g3 cards, though, not 604e 200's, which will be
cheaper) - I just saw a couple 300mhz G3 cards around $50-60.  And
yes very easy to upgrade, a friend of mine who doesn't know much
about computers in general just put a Sonnet G3/450 in this machine
for me (not that I can't, but he wanted to learn how to do stuff ;)
and now it's _wicked_ fast (to me).  It wasn't really that bad before
hand though, so see how it runs without the upgrade, and decide if
you want one.

>If the 120 mhz processor is a 603, I believe you will have
>problems using MOL (Mac-On-Linux).

The 7600/120 is a 604, so MOL is fine.  It's slightly sluggish on the
120, but quite usable.

NRH